Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Calder is Calling Early!

It may be early, but boy did I get one of my predictions oh so wrong. I had Brett Sterling winning the Calder Trophy while playing with Ilya Kovalchuk. Well, Sterling is no longer playing with Kovalchuk and so far isn't even showing he's worth a roster spot.

I call a mulligan on this one and have to jump on the bandwagon of two sensational rookies in Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane. To say they have been good is an understatement, their play this year has simply been phenomenal.

They are only teenagers, but they are fast forwarding the Chicago Blackhawks into a new era. These kids aren't just playing a regular shift , they are running the powerplay and playing over 18 minutes a night and scoring at a rate of over a point a game.

The Blackhawks organization and fans must be rubbing their hands with glee over these two kids, because if they build around these two players, the sky's the limit.

So down to the nitty gritty, who do I think will win the Calder Trophy now I've had a chance to see all the rookies play?

The answer is... Jonathan Toews. The kid is just sensational, he is a future team captain, who's defensive game is only surpassed by his offensive potential. His stickhandling while at top speed is just plain sick, right up there with the best in the league.

I'd be the first to admit I wasn't sure how good this kid would be, but he sure has made a believer of me. If you have any doubt that Toews will win the Calder you only have to look at his goal against the Colorado Avalanche and marvel at this sure fire goal of the year.

No comments: